It's been one of the hottest and driest Summers in New Zealand and even though we're well into Autumn there is still no rain. In Auckland we've had the second driest summer in 50 years and many of parts of the country have been declared official drought zones - bringing home the need to use water sparingly and wisely in our gardens.
Some recommendations from ecostore Founder and CEO Malcolm Rands is a keen organic gardener and permaculturist;
- watering the garden first thing in the morning
- do less frequent but much longer waterings
- Aside from mulch you could also use drip hoses which you place under the mulch and water will slowly ooze out into the soil
- your plant choice should suit ..particular conditions
- space your plants out quite well, keep the mulch up and you wont need to water them nearly as much
Some great tips.. read in details here